Monday, February 09, 2004

I have been working on the piece I mentioned earlier. The one with the woman enclosed in the flaming thunderbird. It is finally starting to come along! I am also working on a commission that is a reworking of the old Pre-Raphaelite concept of Cupidon. When it is finished, I'll make sure an image is posted on the website.

Otherwise it has been a fairly uneventful day. I can't say that I mind. It is a pleasure when the work is not so much a struggle. People have commented that it must be nice to do what I love, and it's true. It is nice. But there is also the fact that I am compelled to paint. It is both sickness and cure. When the work is not flowing, I feel like I am wasting my time and letting down the people who believe in and encourage me. Of course, that is just the effects of frustration and - more often than not - my propensity for not remembering to eat. Painters' Block is a torturous experience. I can sketch, draw, whatever. Ideas can be flowing from me like honey, but there are days when everything I try to paint turns to ash.

Luckily, today was not such a day!

If you get the opportunity, I suggest watching the film "Lost in Translation". It is a very small, quiet movie with honest moments and gentle charm.

Regards

Aaron

No comments: