Saturday, May 08, 2004

What a mess the US government is making of the planet. There's a great variation on the old axiom that goes like this:

"Power attracts the corruptible. Absolute power attracts the absolutely corruptible."

I really dislike talking politics, but this entire "War on Terror" has become a very real, very serious humanitarian concern on a global level. The Bush Administration set out to stop terrorists and capture the leadership. Good idea.

So what are they doing in Iraq?

Watching the footage, reading the news, it's hard not to think that - if anything - these wars have turned into huge Terrorist Factories. You know what it reminds me of? The movie Fantasia where Mickey Mouse, as the Sorceror's Apprentice, keeps chopping away at the mop only to find the splinters turning into ever increasing numbers of mops.

Only...there is no Sorceror to clean up this mess.

So, whenever these things bother me, the first question I ask is, what can I do?

Well, living in Canada, I really have no voice in US politics, but this is what I have done:

1. I have written to my MLA, MP, and the Prime Minister's office. When (and if) I recieve a reply, I will follow up with a phone call.

2. I have contacted the leadership of both the New Democrat and Conservative Party and made my views known with them as well.

3. I support Amnesty International and you can find their link to the right.

4. Pray. Meditate. Hope.

5. Best of all, I have spent time with my family and friends, enjoying the sun, watching the trees bloom and blossom, enjoying and appreciating the good things life gives us.

Here are some links:


Prime Minister's Office


Conservative Party


New Democrat Party



Have fun!