Friday, February 19, 2010


Infinite Worlds
Mixed Media
On Canvas
2008

"Infinite worlds appear and disappear in the vast expanse of my consciousness, like motes of dust dancing in a beam of light" - Vedanta


I was reminded of the painting above this week. When I painted it, I was almost in a trance. It happened spontaneously, immediately and quickly. It was as effortless as breathing.

I have just finished three days in a row of Bikram (hot) Yoga and having never really done Yoga before I was really surprised at how strenuous it was, how great I felt afterward, and how my thinking became more clear as I mixed the physical work with meditation.

Granted, I'm not flexible enough to do all the poses, and I don't really have the balance to look graceful but just making the effort is hard enough in a hot, humid room. You walk in and start sweating immediately!

One thing I discovered that surprised me was how I approached the experience as a job. In fact, it took someone else to point it out to me. Although I tend toward the easy going, I guess I still have that competitive spirit in me, even if it's just turned in toward myself. Maybe when you're born in Alberta, that "git 'er done" attitude is inserted at the hospital. I'm going to do another three or four days in a row and I'm curious to see how that bit of insight will change what they call my "practice".

On the really plus side, I'm already seeing and feeling the benefits, so I recommend it to everyone! Fair warning though: the flab that you think is okay seems to really soften and melt by the end of the 90 minutes. I had to laugh when I saw myself!

Or was it cry?

;)

At any rate, I know for me it opened up new worlds and possibilities and I've been waking up every morning with avalanches of ideas, images, concepts...my creative cup is literally overflowing.

So give it a shot. You'll either love it or hate it, but it's definitely an experience worth having.



.

No comments: