Monday, January 19, 2009

Feeding the Insatiable Coldness


Northern Gods
9"x 12"
Mixed Media on Paper
2008


I painted two versions of this subject, I'll post the other soon.

This painting was in response to the dreams, both sleeping and waking, that I'd been having as I worked on my latest show with the Art Gallery of Alberta. I was exploring the mythos and history of the coming together of the two sides of my heritage: First Nations and Norse. The similarities in culture are astounding, as are the differences and this image kept coming to my mind.

What does it mean? Who are the two figures and what happened in the hours previous to this moment? Who is this mysterious god(gess) looking upon the scene with such apparent serenity or humour, compassion or disdain?

Even to me, the so-called creator, it is a mystery.

1 comment:

Joanne Arnott said...

it's a beautiful mystery
a perfect image of winter